WFUNA 39th Plenary Assembly
The 39th Plenary Assembly of the World Federation of UN Associations on the theme "Global Citizens for the United Nations" was held in Seoul from 10-12 August, 2009 and hosted by the UN Association of the Republic of Korea.
AUNA President Ms. Armine Podosyan and Executive Director Ms. Arpine Danielyan were among the 122 participants from 49 UN Associations, representing every region of the world.
• The Opening Ceremony was honored by the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon who was the keynote speaker, and addresses were made by the President of the UNA-Republic of Korea, Kim Seung Youn, the outgoing President of WFUNA Hans Blix, and the Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea Han Seung-soo. Dr. Hans Blix chaired the Plenary Assembly. The following eight UNAs were welcomed as new members of WFUNA: Colombia, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia, Mauritania, Morocco, Portugal, Rwanda and Togo.
• The 2nd WFUNA-Youth Plenary Meeting was held parallel to the Plenary Assembly, with participation of 43 delegates from 24 UNAs - more than double the number of participants since the 38th Plenary Assembly. For the first time, a representative of WFUNA-Youth participated in the WFUNA Plenary Assembly as a voting member.
• The Plenary Assembly issued the "Seoul Declaration: the UN's agenda is our agenda", which adopts the overall strategic framework for WFUNA for the period 2009-12.
• The main goals are: working for peace and security, promoting sustainable development, securing human rights, and furthering international cooperation.
• The Plenary issued resolutions on: the Responsibility to Protect, Nuclear Nonproliferation and Disarmament, Nuclear Testing by the DPRK, International Peace Operations, the situation in Sudan, Climate Change, Desertification, Gender Equality Architecture Reform (GEAR), Invigorating the United Nations through better management and a revitalized General Assembly, and on Promotion and Reporting by Governments to their People.
• A Panel of speakers presented on the policy issues of sustainable development, peace and disarmament, human rights and UN reform, and was followed by informal workshops on the same topics.
Programs, Membership, and Budget:
• The World Federation's Constitution was amended to delete any reference to International Associates, Individual Associates or Nonvoting Associates.
• The Plenary issued a resolution on Harnessing Information and Communication Technologies for more effective collaboration between the United Nations and WFUNA.
• The Global Citizen Campaign was presented, including summaries of programs planned by the Secretariat in the context of this campaign.
• The three-year budget for 2010-2012 and the Audited Accounts were approved.
• Park Soo Gil, former Permanent Representative of the Republic of Korea to the UN, was elected as President.
• Bonian Golmohammadi from Sweden was elected as Secretary-General.
• Sundeep Bhutoria from India was elected as Treasurer.
• Ervin Gombos (UNA Hungary), Rena Shashua-Hasson (UNA Israel) and Mohammad Rashad Daureeawo (UNA Mauritius) were elected as Vice Presidents.
• Eight new members were elected to the Executive Committee.